The rules are simple:
- dishes cannot have exotic ingredients (ie...have to find them in our grocery stores)
- dishes have to be family friendly
- dishes have to have a balance of healthfulness and taste (to meet lower sodium, lower fat)
So with those rules in mind and a good idea of what I have on hand I'm trying to come up with some different things for us to try. Since it is finally cold here -- high yesterday was 40F -- I decided to start my search with soups.
So far I've come up with these soups:
- Lentil curry -- We tried a lentil curry in the past that hubby loved, but daughter wasn't crazy about. Since I have all the ingredients on hand we'll be having curry and she'll have to eat something else.
- Potato and sausage soup -- We've always had ham and potato soup, but over the holidays I browned 2 lbs of sausage and saved 2 containers (1/3 of the 2 lbs in each). I think this would be a good soup to try with either a crusty bread or perhaps cornbread.
- Egg Drop Soup -- I love egg drop soup, but have never made it homemade. I intend to try my hand at it with our next fried rice meal.
- Meatball Soup -- I've never tried meatball soup. Daughter won't eat tomato based so I am going to make one with beef broth, small noodles and veggies. We'll see how it turns out.